Saturday, June 09, 2012

Doorsteps of Summer



Summer Vacation!

“Busy.” One definition for this: “full of activity.” Yeah, that’s about right. The spring semester at CCBCE finished up a few weeks ago, and it was a bitter sweet end. We truly had one of the best groups of students Christi and I have ever seen. Graduation was exciting to see so many quality students head out into life and ministry, but...that also means we won’t see them back here next semester. Good news/bad news (but really, the only reason to call that “bad news” is because I’m selfish and want to keep them around as long as possible).


Ian enjoying Hungarian wild-life (male Stag Beetle)

This past month, “busy” seemed to be an apt description for me in another area: trips to the doctor. For whatever reason, I’d like to think that shingles is a virus that hasn’t been seen or heard from since roughly 1889. Bad news: nope; it’s still alive and well. I know because I had an unpleasant bout with it this spring. An initial misdiagnosis and a few decent-sized scars later, it has run its course. Doctor visits also abounded because, while I was finishing up my shingles prescriptions, I was greeted with a basketball-related injury. Let me be honest here: torn calf muscles are not a ton of fun. I’m currently into my fifth week of a casted/booted leg. The good news from here on out is that the doctor is very optimistic that I should be back to normal (at least in the walking department of “normal”) within a week. I’ve never been more grateful for our on-campus swimming pool. I’ve never been less excited about 10-days worth of self-inflicted blood-thinning shots to the abdominal area. 

Ever-faithful, Lola showing sympathy for the inured old man

Doing three weddings in three months (in two countries and ultimately in three languages) also adds to the “busy” scenario around here. I was blessed to officiate all three while Christi was a huge help in coordinating two of them. She really is amazing at what she does around here. Four kids and any number of college kids that think of her as their second mom keeps her busy, too.

Granny teaching Mikayla to crochet

“Busy” also fits for our family geographically. Earlier this month Christi and I were blessed to join the rest of the CCBCE team on a staff retreat to Austria. That left Kara and Mikayla here in Hungary with a couple of our dear students. “What about Ian and Leah?” Good question. They’re in California with their grandparents for the month of June. Which means, last week we had two Fosters in Austria, two Fosters in Hungary, and the other two in America. That’s certainly a first for us - our family occupying space in three different countries. My parents were in Hungary for a few weeks visiting and Ian & Leah left with them. (All planned, not to worry.)


Foster Family + Grandpa and Granny (pardon the crutches that found their way into the shot)

We are fortunate to be able to visit the States ourselves for July. We will be in New Jersey and plan to visit as many different churches as we can. Please pray for us this month while we’re without 50% of our offspring. 

Christi and I enjoying the scenery at the staff retreat for CCBCE 

By the way, today marks our eight year anniversary of ministry in Europe!


Getting in and out of the car with crutches: "a challenge"

Tons of blessings and appreciation from the Foster family scattered hither and yon!
Jeremy

3 comments:

the mccalls said...

busy indeed...you fosters are everywhere!

Amber Lea said...

shingles are the worst! sorry about that! thanks for the update!

Mrs. Ceravolo said...

My word I cannot believe how big the kids are!! Leah is turning into a youth woman, YIKES!! Love and miss you all so much!